Servicemembers/Veterans Recruiting Policy

Our admissions counselors are here to facilitate a smooth transition into college life. We want students to choose an institution where they are best positioned to succeed. Our policy is to communicate with students in a clear and accurate way. We will communicate with students, but we will not make repeated unsolicited contacts to students in a single day or pressure a student to apply and register on the same day. We commit to being as transparent as possible
to provide information and assistance and we encourage students to understand the benefits that are available to them as they make their decision about where to attend college.

Veteran Education Benefits

Union College courses meet the standards of the Nebraska Department of Education State Approving Agency for benefits to veterans and other persons eligible under the various GI Bill® programs administered by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

Enrollment in 12 or more credit hours is considered full-time training. It is the student’s responsibility to report any changes in enrollment to the Director of Records. The college is also required to promptly report any changes in enrollment data affecting payment by the VA, such as students who are placed on academic suspension.

For those who qualify, Yellow Ribbon benefits are available at Union College.

A student who has been accepted and is eligible to receive veterans benefits under the 1966 enactment should contact the Records office for information about these benefits.

Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018

Consistent with the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, Section 3679 of title 38, United States Code, Section 103, Union College will not impose any penalties due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs on recipients of Chapter 31 and Chapter 33 VA Benefits.  Union College  will permit any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides Union College  a certificate of eligibility for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33, and ending on the earlier of the following dates: 1) The date on which payment from the VA is made to the institution or 2) 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the COE (Certificate of Eligibility).

Additionally, Union College  will not require that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to Union College  due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the Department of Veterans Affairs under chapter 31 or 33.  A Covered Individual is any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation, or chapter 33, Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits, and has been verified by the school certifying official as benefit eligible.  This requirement is limited to the portion of funds paid by VA.

Standards of Progress Policy for students receiving veteran’s benefits  

A veteran and/or eligible person must make satisfactory progress toward an approved educational objective leading to employment.  Veteran and/or eligible person Standard of Progress will be determined utilizing the academic sanctions, attendance, and conduct requirements as identified in the Union College Bulletin and the Student Handbook.  


For questions regarding veteran status and registration, please contact the Records Office at 402.486.2529.

GI Bill®

"GI Bill®” is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at

GI Bill Comparison Tool